In my continuing recap of 2009 as documented by our activity on search engines and social media sites here are the results from YouTube. It wasn’t Barack Obama nor Michael Jackson, but Susan Boyle’s remarkable voice in a humble package (not to mention some great stagemanship from Briton’s Got Talent) who was the top video of 2009.
Most Watched YouTube videos (Global):
- Susan Boyle – Britain’s Got Talent (120+ million views)
- David After Dentist (37+ million views)
- JK Wedding Entrance Dance (33+ million views)
- New Moon Movie Trailer (31+ million views)
- Evian Roller Babies (27+ million views)
While not as detailed as their cousins over at Google YouTube does break out their data into some more detail. In addition to music videos (who knew Miley Cyrus was popular enough to take 2 spots of the top 5 globally) I’d love to see television shows, movie trailers, news events, user generated videos, video podcasts, etc. as some additional categories.
Most Watched music videos on YouTube (Global):
- Pitbull “I Know You Want Me” (82+ million views)
- Miley Cyrus “The Climb” (64+ million views)
- Miley Cyrus “Party in the U.S.A.” (54+ million views)
- The Lonely Island “I’m On a Boat” (48+ million views)
- Keri Hilson “Knock You Down” (35+ million views)
Finally I’d like to see this monthly data and global/ US split from other search and social media sites, which is a nice reminder of what captivated us over the course of 2009 and how US taste coincides and diverges from that of the global online population.